Los Angeles Window Replacement
A Los Angeles window replacement can increase the energy efficiency of your home and give you an updated look in the process. If your CA home is beginning to get drafty when the Santa Ana winds start to blow in Los Angeles, you may need to consider replacing your old windows with newer updated energy efficient ones. Whether you need to replace one, or a whole houseful, you can find the styles and sizes you need by shopping online and comparing rates from the top vendors in your area.
Window Replacement Kits
The replacement kits that are available in California are one of the easiest ways to do a Los Angeles window replacement. California window replacement kits come in three basic styles, sash replacements, inserts, and full frame styles. Which one you choose depends on the budget you have to work with and what is wrong with the one you are replacing.
The sash Los Angeles replacement kit gives a CA home's windows all new movable parts. They are installed by attaching the jamb liners to the existing frame and then adding the sash between. These are the ideal choice when the windows just need new parts.
The insert Los Angeles replacement kit is a fully assembled window in a frame that is attached inside your old frame. In order for these to work, the existing frame must be square and level. When you use an insert, the glass will be slightly smaller than your old windows because you are basically putting one frame inside the other.
A full frame Los Angeles window replacement kit is a complete unit. These kits include the side jambs, sill, and head jamb. These kits are ideal for windows whose old frames are rotted or otherwise damaged. To install a full frame kit, you will need to remove the old windows down to the rough frame opening. This gets more complicated with a bigger job such as double paned glass window replacement.
Replacing a Los Angeles Window
You can save a great deal of money if you replace your California home's window yourself rather than hiring a contractor to do it. A Los Angeles window replacement is very easy to do and can be completed in a weekend by almost any homeowner. If you are not sure if this is something you want to tackle, you may want to hire a contractor to do just one replacement to show you how it is done. Then you can determine if you would like to do the rest yourself.
The first step to replacing a window is to remove the inside stops. If you do this carefully, you can use them later with the new unit. Remove the sashes but leave the casings intact if you plan to reuse them. Cut through the nails that hold the existing frame in place and remove the old unit. You will now have a clean opening to work with.
Next, use expanding foam to seal any holes around the frame. Once the foam dries, use a putty knife to remove the excess. This usually takes about 6-8 hours so you may want to cover the opening with plastic while you wait for the foam to dry. Once the foam is dried and the excess removed, place the new unit in the opening to determine if it fits correctly. If it does, set it aside and move to the next step.
Calk the outside stops and the inside edge of the framed opening. Place the new Los Angeles window replacement inside the opening and check for levelness using a level. You will also want to be sure that the Los Angeles window replacement is square by taking diagonal measurements between the corners. If the measurements match, the unit is square.
If the Los Angeles window replacement is not square, you can use shims to square it up. A shim is a small piece of wood that is thin on one end and gradually increases in thickness. Use the shims where you need them then cut them off flush with the frame. Calk against the frame and replace the inside stops you saved earlier. Your new window should now be in place and ready to use.
A Los Angeles window replacement is a great way to decrease a home's heating and air conditioning bills while increasing the home's energy efficiency. You can save money on the replacement costs in your Los Angeles home when you do the work yourself instead of using a contractor. Be sure to look for Energy Star approved products, which can provide you with a tax rebate. No matter whether your Los Angeles home requires several new windows, or just one, you can find what you need by shopping online and comparing quotes from several providers of a Los Angeles window replacement.
Los Angeles, California U-Factor and SHGC Ratings
Use the u-factor and solar heat gain co-efficient (SHGC) tool below to search for your California county's recommended window efficiency ratings.
Use our tool to search for the specific u-factor and SHGC for your county so that you are educated and have this information on hand in order to maximize the financial return on your new windows. Remember to research thoroughly prior to purchasing new windows, regardless of whether you are installing the windows yourself or having them installed by a licensed professional contractor.
If your county shows more than one u-factor and shgc combination, you may safely choose any combination. However, we recommend discussing the best option with a window replacement professional.
Los Angeles Window Suppliers
Click the links below to see a list of local window retailers, contractors, and manufacturers.
- Action Home Remodeling & Rpr 1000 W Century Blvd # 306 Los Angeles CA 90044 (323) 777-7400 Edit Listing
- Active Vinyl Windows 4068 Crenshaw Blvd Los Angeles CA 90008 (323) 293-5500 Edit Listing
- American Windows & Glass 6021 Avalon Blvd Los Angeles CA 90003 (323) 846-0227 Edit Listing
- Arrow Shade Inc 8404 W 3rd St Los Angeles CA 90048 (323) 651-2644 Edit Listing
- Atwater Screen & Glass Shop 2828 Fletcher Dr Los Angeles CA 90039 (323) 666-4646 Edit Listing
- AVI Construction 1838 S Robertson Blvd Los Angeles CA 90035 (310) 287-1141 Edit Listing
- Barry Shaw & Assoc 11601 Wilshire Blvd # 500 Los Angeles CA 90025 (310) 479-1185 Edit Listing
- Bay Cities Kitchens & Appls 2444 W Pico Blvd Los Angeles CA 90006 (213) 380-3938 Edit Listing
- Bernal Amalia 7205 S Alameda St Los Angeles CA 90001 (323) 588-8879 Edit Listing
- Beverly Hills Hse & Window 9101 Hargis St Los Angeles CA 90034 (310) 425-8029 Edit Listing
- BGL Construction 809 N Mccadden Pl Los Angeles CA 90038 (323) 962-7500 Edit Listing
- Bradley Custom Carpentry 929 Hilts Ave Los Angeles CA 90024 (310) 446-5465 Edit Listing
- Creation Construction 1050 S Holt Ave # 103 Los Angeles CA 90035 (323) 272-4887 Edit Listing
- Deluxe Remodeling 6423 Yucca St Los Angeles CA 90028 (323) 464-7707 Edit Listing
- Devon Glass & Mirror 5320 N Figueroa St Los Angeles CA 90042 (323) 478-0539 Edit Listing
- DMA Builders 1032 W Florence Ave Los Angeles CA 90044 (323) 971-0089 Edit Listing
- Elite Remodeling & Constr 6399 Wilshire Blvd # 310 Los Angeles CA 90048 (323) 655-0199 Edit Listing
- Envision Design Construction 222 Thorne St # C Los Angeles CA 90042 (626) 354-3283 Edit Listing
- Fast Windows & More Inc 1154 W Slauson Ave Los Angeles CA 90044 (323) 971-5914 Edit Listing
- Gallegos Windows 1054 E 54th St Los Angeles CA 90011 (323) 238-0870 Edit Listing
- Green Building Solutions Inc 3975 Meier St # 202 Los Angeles CA 90066 (310) 909-8905 Edit Listing
- Grinnell Associates Builders 10859 Venice Blvd Los Angeles CA 90034 (310) 559-0484 Edit Listing
- H D Remodeling Co 4156 W Pico Blvd Los Angeles CA 90019 (323) 733-0019 Edit Listing
- Highland Construction & Design 1120 S Robertson Blvd # 201 Los Angeles CA 90035 (310) 968-4693 Edit Listing
- Home Depot 12975 W Jefferson Blvd Los Angeles CA 90066 (310) 822-3330 Edit Listing
- Home Depot 1675 Wilshire Blvd Los Angeles CA 90017 (213) 273-8464 Edit Listing
- Home Depot 2055 N Figueroa St Los Angeles CA 90065 (323) 342-9495 Edit Listing
- Home Depot 4925 W Slauson Ave Los Angeles CA 90056 (323) 298-4610 Edit Listing
- Home Depot 5600 W Sunset Blvd Los Angeles CA 90028 (323) 461-3303 Edit Listing
- Interserv 5900 Wilshire Blvd # 1700 Los Angeles CA 90036 (323) 857-6376 Edit Listing
- J & A Windows 8462 S Central Ave Los Angeles CA 90001 (323) 589-6972 Edit Listing
- J & S Windows Corp 1154 W Slauson Ave Los Angeles CA 90044 (323) 750-4083 Edit Listing
- LA Home Improvement LLC 5914 Monterey Rd Los Angeles CA 90042 (818) 705-7507 Edit Listing
- Lowe's Home Improvement 4550 W Pico Blvd Los Angeles CA 90019 (323) 617-9570 Edit Listing
- Luxvue Windows 8569 Brier Dr Los Angeles CA 90046 (323) 798-4604 Edit Listing
- Max Window 1125 5th Ave Los Angeles CA 90019 (323) 737-5570 Edit Listing
- Mendez Roofing Co 2125 8th Ave Los Angeles CA 90018 (323) 735-4386 Edit Listing
- Meridian Kitchen & Bath Euro 2285 Westwood Blvd Los Angeles CA 90064 (310) 481-9111 Edit Listing
- Motion Windows 2101 W Slauson Ave Los Angeles CA 90047 (323) 293-9993 Edit Listing
- New Projection Windows 5858 Hooper Ave Los Angeles CA 90001 (323) 587-2431 Edit Listing
- New World Remodeling 5630 S Broadway Los Angeles CA 90037 (323) 233-8030 Edit Listing
- Ozzie's Construction 803 Crenshaw Blvd # 1 Los Angeles CA 90005 (323) 938-8686 Edit Listing
- Paul White General Contr Inc 4127 Marcasel Ave Los Angeles CA 90066 (310) 397-1593 Edit Listing
- Pristine Windows 2367 Westwood Blvd Los Angeles CA 90064 (310) 446-8180 Edit Listing
- Quality Windows 9411 S Broadway Los Angeles CA 90003 (323) 779-7527 Edit Listing
- R A Cortez 3006 N Coolidge Ave Los Angeles CA 90039 (323) 663-9898 Edit Listing
- Redkorp Inc 369 N Fairfax Ave Los Angeles CA 90036 (323) 761-7540 Edit Listing
- Remodeling Design Speclsts Inc 155 S Alta Vista Blvd Los Angeles CA 90036 (323) 935-2394 Edit Listing
- Remodeling Specialists 6142 W 75th St Los Angeles CA 90045 (310) 448-1021 Edit Listing
- Republic Retro Fitting 1436 S LA Cienega Blvd Los Angeles CA 90035 (310) 855-8051 Edit Listing
- Rick Reimold Designer Builder 3718 Barry Ave Los Angeles CA 90066 (310) 391-9956 Edit Listing
- Rigo's Glass Shop 3930 Dwiggins St Los Angeles CA 90063 (323) 264-9199 Edit Listing
- Rohaly Construction Inc 12053 Clover Ave Los Angeles CA 90066 (310) 397-8171 Edit Listing
- Royal Window Products 481 S Fairfax Ave Los Angeles CA 90036 (323) 933-4533 Edit Listing
- Royal Window Products 5520 W Pico Blvd Los Angeles CA 90019 (323) 933-4533 Edit Listing
- Screen Master Door & Window 4415 LA Clede Ave Los Angeles CA 90039 (323) 284-6137 Edit Listing
- Shambra Restaurant Consulting 2352 S Robertson Blvd Los Angeles CA 90034 (310) 204-1201 Edit Listing
- Spare Window 309 E 8th St Los Angeles CA 90014 (213) 614-6830 Edit Listing
- Stone Construction Co 1800 S Robertson Blvd # 285 Los Angeles CA 90035 (310) 288-1753 Edit Listing
- Triepke Glass Co Inc 8933 National Blvd Los Angeles CA 90034 (310) 253-5373 Edit Listing
- Universal Remodeling 545 W Avenue 26 # 201 Los Angeles CA 90065 (800) 606-4381 Edit Listing
- Vestor Windows 6504 S Vermont Ave Los Angeles CA 90044 (323) 759-9920 Edit Listing
- Villatoro Contractors 2211 Branden St Los Angeles CA 90026 (323) 345-2900 Edit Listing
- West LA Mirror & Glass Co 4529 W Pico Blvd Los Angeles CA 90019 (323) 935-9295 Edit Listing
- Westwood Window Svc 10940 Wilshire Blvd # 1600 Los Angeles CA 90024 (323) 965-1234 Edit Listing
- Wilshire Tile 5531 Venice Blvd Los Angeles CA 90019 (310) 276-4141 Edit Listing
- Window World 3368 N San Fernando Rd # 109 Los Angeles CA 90065 (323) 274-1090 Edit Listing