Athens, Georgia Window Replacement
Getting new replacement windows in Athens, GA is a great idea for homeowners to enhance the look and energy efficiency of their home. When you are considering a window replacement project for your home, it is important to do your research and find the best Athens window installer to help you with the process - we are here to help you in that process.
Be sure to consider the following items when choosing your new windows and a window replacement contractor:
- Get multiple estimates in writing
- Ask for labor and materials to be listed separately
- Ensure all old materials will be hauled off
- Ask if the installer is insured and ask for a certificate of liability insurance
- Ask if the installer will pull the building permits and schedule inspections, if applicable
- Ensure that the cost to install the windows includes sealing and painting
- Ask for at least three references
- Don't rank replacement window contractors on price alone, be sure to consider all factors and what is, and is not, included
- Ask the installer about the installation process, this will be different depending on the type of home and what type of windows you are having installed
- Ensure that your new replacement windows meet Energy STAR and NFRC standards for energy efficient windows. Review the information below to make sure your new windows will lower energy bills.
The above checklist will help you to avoid any unexpected labor costs and delays during your window replacement project and will help you to get a return on the investment of new house windows.
When Do You Need Replacement Windows?
There are many reasons why a homeowner would choose to replace the windows in their GA home. Some events will cause an Athens window replacement to need to be performed immediately. Since Athens is located in North Georgia, it is sometimes vulnerable to bad weather such as tornadoes.
Home owners may be looking to update their home. There are a lot of historic and older homes in Athens and renovation is a popular project to enhance these homes and bring them into the 21st Century. Whether you are looking for simple standard windows or customize ones that come in various replacement window features , designs, or styles to update your house, you will be able to find an Athens window replacement company that can provide these services for you at an affordable price.
If you are thinking about selling your home, window replacement may be necessary, a home shopper is usually looking for updates in the older homes found in areas like Five Points, Henderson, Cobbham, Buena Vista, Boulevard, and other in-town neighborhoods. Updates like replacement windows are for both style and functional reasons as well as to reduce heating and air conditioning bills. Prospective buyers will appreciate these updates in your home which will lead to the sale of your home quickly with a possible return investment on the renovations you have made.
Since Athens is populated by students from the University of Georgia, there are many apartments and homes occupied by people in their late teens and early twenties that may not know how to perform regular maintenance on these homes. A majority of these dwellings are owned by landlords that are responsible for the upkeep and replacement of any items to keep the area a livable space.
If you are a landlord, you may find the need for an Athens window replacement in the properties that you own. You can find standard affordable windows offered by a variety of window replacement companies for you to install in your rental properties.
If your windows have been damaged due to weather or a natural disaster, an Athens window replacement is necessary right away. Additionally, the temperatures in Athens can drop fairly low in the winter months, if your windows are old and deteriorating you may be feeling the outside climate drafting through your home; replacement windows for your GA home can solve this problem.
Finding a Window Installer in Athens
If you are a homeowner or landlord that has never undertaken a major project like window replacement on their home or properties before, you may not know where to begin when searching for a company to provide these services. It can be overwhelming finding the right business since these are contractors that you have to let into your home and your personal space and you expect them to perform a quality home improvement that will last in your home for a long time with little to no problems.
In order to find the right trusted company with plenty of experience in replacing windows, you will have to do some searching. Instead of calling around and trying to compare prices and companies that way, you can use your online resources to make the process much more convenient for you.
You can find reviews and recommendations from other homeowners who have used each company that you are looking into; helping you get an idea of their customer service and experience levels. Additionally, you can do your comparison shopping for prices and products much more easily by researching Athens window replacement companies online. If you have any questions about a company or product, you can usually find the answer on the Internet, or contact information so you can call the company and they will be more than happy to answer your questions.
By beginning your search for Athens window replacement companies today, you can be guaranteed that your search will be simple and take very little time. You will be able to find a quality company that provides affordable services to you. You will not regret replacing the windows in your home for both style and function reasons.
Incentive & Financing Programs for New Windows
There are many programs for homeowners who wish to make energy efficient improvements to their homes. These can range from grants to special financing through foundations, the federal government and utilities. We have listed those that are applicable to homeowners in the Athens, Georgia area below. Window Joe and WindowReplacement.net also offer special financing to homeowners that get quotes from our installers.
- Walton EMC has a loan program called the HomePlus Loan for existing homes that incentivizes energy efficient home improvement projects such as window replacement . These loans vary from a minimum of $500 to a maximum of $7500. This loan amount should fit well with most homeowner's needs. Walton EMC serves the following Georgia Counties: Barrow County, Clarke County, DeKalb County, Greene County, Gwinnett County, Morgan County, Newton County, Oconee County, Rockdale County, and Walton County.
Building Permits for Window Replacement
Be sure to check with the building permits office in Athens or your county before beginning your project. Many projects don't require a building or renovation permit however requirements vary and it's better to find out if you need a permit before starting your project. We have listed the building permit offices for Athens and surrounding counties for your convenience.
- Athens-Clarke County GA Building Permits 120 W Dougherty St Athens GA 30601 706-613-3520 Monday- Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. www.athensclarkecounty.com
- Oconee County GA Building Permits 23 N Main St Watkinsville, GA 30677 706-769-5120 www.oconeecounty.com
- Madison County GA Building Permits 91 Albany Ave Danielsville, GA 30633 Phone: 706-795-6350 Fax: 706-795-5176 Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. www.madisoncountyga.us
- Oglethorpe County GA Building Permits 105 Union Point St Lexington, GA 30648 706-743-5270 Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. www.onlineoglethorpe.com
- Jackson County GA Building Permits 67 Athens St Jefferson, GA 30549 706-367-6338 706-708-2506 Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. www.jacksoncountygov.com
Athens, Georgia U-Factor and SHGC Ratings for Replacement Windows
When shopping for replacement windows in Athens, Georgia or any of its counties, including Clarke County and Jackson County, it is extremely important to purchase windows (and doors) with the correct u-factor and solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) as rated by Energy Star.
Energy Star determines the u-factor and SHGC that will give you the most energy efficienct replacement windows, skylights, and doors based on your county's climate zone.
The climate zone assigned to your county takes into account how extreme the seasons are in your area. How warm and cold it gets in Athens determines how well your new windows will need to keep out the cold air and the hot sun.
Below, you will find a table with the climate zones and corresponding u-factor and SHGC ratings for Athens, Georgia and Athens's metro area counties including: Clarke County GA, Jackson County GA, Madison County GA, Oconee County GA, and Oglethorpe County GA.
The climate zone, u-factor and SHGC listed for your county in the Athens, GA area will help you to determine which replacement windows, skylights, and doors will maximize energy savings for your home.
To find the Energy Star recommended u-factor and solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) for your county in the Athens metro area, simply do the following:
- Find your county in the left most column.
- Find your climate zone in the orange box to the right of the column with your county's name.
- Under the orange box with your climate zone, find the dark grey box with the product you are looking for - window replacements, new doors, or skylights.
- Under the product type, you will find the best u-factor and shgc as determined by Energy Star.
- When getting quotes from contractors, be sure that your window replacements, new skylights, and/or replacement doors have these ratings to maximize energy efficiency in your home.
|Clarke County GA
Madison County GA
Oconee County GA
Oglethorpe County GA
|South-Central Climate Zone|
|0.30 or less||0.25 or less|
|0.53 or less||0.28 or less|
|Solid Doors (No Glass)|
|0.17 or less||No Rating|
|Doors with Less than Half Glass|
|0.25 or less||0.25 or less|
|Doors with More than Half Glass|
|0.30 or less||0.25 or less|
If you don't see your home's county above, use the u-factor and solar heat gain co-efficient (SHGC) search tool below to search for your Athens, GA area county's recommended window efficiency ratings.
Use the table above or the tool below to search for the specific u-factor and SHGC for your county so that you are educated and have this information on hand in order to maximize the financial return on your investment in new windows, new skylights and/or new doors in the Athens, Georgia area.
Remember to research thoroughly prior to making a window replacement or replacement door purchase, regardless of whether you are installing the windows and doors yourself or having them installed by a licensed professional contractor.
Athens Window Suppliers
Below you will find a list of local window retailers, contractors, installers, and manufacturers in the Athens area.