Athens, GA Window Replacement
Getting new replacement windows in Athens, GA is a great idea for homeowners to enhance the look and energy efficiency of their home. When you are considering a window replacement project for your home, it is important to do your research and find the best Athens window installer to help you with the process - we are here to help you in that process.
Be sure to consider the following items when choosing your new windows and a window replacement contractor:
- Get multiple estimates in writing
- Ask for labor and materials to be listed separately
- Ensure all old materials will be hauled off
- Ask if the installer is insured and ask for a certificate of liability insurance
- Ask if the installer will pull the building permits and schedule inspections, if applicable
- Ensure that the cost to install the windows includes sealing and painting
- Ask for at least three references
- Don't rank replacement window contractors on price alone, be sure to consider all factors and what is, and is not, included
- Ask the installer about the installation process, this will be different depending on the type of home and what type of windows you are having installed
- Ensure that your new replacement windows meet Energy STAR and NFRC standards for energy efficient windows. Review the information below to make sure your new windows will lower energy bills.
The above checklist will help you to avoid any unexpected labor costs and delays during your window replacement project and will help you to get a return on the investment of new house windows.
Energy Efficient New Windows - What to Consider
Athens, GA is located in Clarke County and is therefore located in the South-Central Climate Zone as designated by Energy STAR. When choosing new energy efficient replacement windows, it is important to select the best U-Factor and Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SHGC) for your climate.
U-Factor is a number which represents the insulation rating of a window while SHGC will tell you how much of the sun's heat will be allowed in through the window. Air leakage is a third important term to consider for energy efficiency. Air leakage is the amount of air that will pass through the joints of your new window. Generally, the lower the Air Leakage is, the better.
In Athens, a lower U Factor as represented by the recommendations below will help keep warm air in during the winter and a low SHGC will reduce the sun's heat from coming in during the sweltering summers.
|Energy STAR Recommendations for Windows in Athens, Georgia|
|Windows||0.30 or less||0.25 or less||0.30 or less|
|Skylights||0.53 or less||0.28 or less||0.30 or less|
When Do You Need Replacement Windows?
There are many reasons why a homeowner would choose to replace the windows in their GA home. Some events will cause an Athens window replacement to need to be performed immediately. Since Athens is located in North Georgia, it is sometimes vulnerable to bad weather such as tornadoes.
Home owners may be looking to update their home. There are a lot of historic and older homes in Athens and renovation is a popular project to enhance these homes and bring them into the 21st Century. Whether you are looking for simple standard windows or customize ones that come in various replacement window features, designs, or styles to update your house, you will be able to find an Athens window replacement company that can provide these services for you at an affordable price.
If you are thinking about selling your home, window replacement may be necessary, a home shopper is usually looking for updates in the older homes found in areas like Five Points, Henderson, Cobbham, Buena Vista, Boulevard, and other in-town neighborhoods. Updates like replacement windows are for both style and functional reasons as well as to reduce heating and air conditioning bills. Prospective buyers will appreciate these updates in your home which will lead to the sale of your home quickly with a possible return investment on the renovations you have made.
Since Athens is populated by students from the University of Georgia, there are many apartments and homes occupied by people in their late teens and early twenties that may not know how to perform regular maintenance on these homes. A majority of these dwellings are owned by landlords that are responsible for the upkeep and replacement of any items to keep the area a livable space.
If you are a landlord, you may find the need for an Athens window replacement in the properties that you own. You can find standard affordable windows offered by a variety of window replacement companies for you to install in your rental properties.
If your windows have been damaged due to weather or a natural disaster, an Athens window replacement is necessary right away. Additionally, the temperatures in Athens can drop fairly low in the winter months, if your windows are old and deteriorating you may be feeling the outside climate drafting through your home; replacement windows for your GA home can solve this problem.
Finding a Window Installer in Athens
If you are a homeowner or landlord that has never undertaken a major project like window replacement on their home or properties before, you may not know where to begin when searching for a company to provide these services. It can be overwhelming finding the right business since these are contractors that you have to let into your home and your personal space and you expect them to perform a quality home improvement that will last in your home for a long time with little to no problems.
In order to find the right trusted company with plenty of experience in replacing windows, you will have to do some searching. Instead of calling around and trying to compare prices and companies that way, you can use your online resources to make the process much more convenient for you.
You can find reviews and recommendations from other homeowners who have used each company that you are looking into; helping you get an idea of their customer service and experience levels. Additionally, you can do your comparison shopping for prices and products much more easily by researching Athens window replacement companies online. If you have any questions about a company or product, you can usually find the answer on the Internet, or contact information so you can call the company and they will be more than happy to answer your questions.
By beginning your search for Athens window replacement companies today, you can be guaranteed that your search will be simple and take very little time. You will be able to find a quality company that provides affordable services to you. You will not regret replacing the windows in your home for both style and function reasons.
Incentive & Financing Programs for New Windows
There are many programs for homeowners who wish to make energy efficient improvements to their homes. These can range from grants to special financing through foundations, the federal government and utilities. We have listed those that are applicable to homeowners in the Athens, Georgia area below. Window Joe and WindowReplacement.net also offer special financing to homeowners that get quotes from our installers.
- Walton EMC has a loan program called the HomePlus Loan for existing homes that incentivizes energy efficient home improvement projects such as window replacement. These loans vary from a minimum of $500 to a maximum of $7500. This loan amount should fit well with most homeowner's needs. Walton EMC serves the following Georgia Counties: Barrow County, Clarke County, DeKalb County, Greene County, Gwinnett County, Morgan County, Newton County, Oconee County, Rockdale County, and Walton County.
Building Permits for Window Replacement
Be sure to check with the building permits office in Athens or your county before beginning your project. Many projects don't require a building or renovation permit however requirements vary and it's better to find out if you need a permit before starting your project. We have listed the building permit offices for Athens and surrounding counties for your convenience.
- Athens-Clarke County GA Building Permits 120 W Dougherty St Athens GA 30601 706-613-3520 Monday- Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. www.athensclarkecounty.com
- Oconee County GA Building Permits 23 N Main St Watkinsville, GA 30677 706-769-5120 www.oconeecounty.com
- Madison County GA Building Permits 91 Albany Ave Danielsville, GA 30633 Phone: 706-795-6350 Fax: 706-795-5176 Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. www.madisoncountyga.us
- Oglethorpe County GA Building Permits 105 Union Point St Lexington, GA 30648 706-743-5270 Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. www.onlineoglethorpe.com
- Jackson County GA Building Permits 67 Athens St Jefferson, GA 30549 706-367-6338 706-708-2506 Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. www.jacksoncountygov.com
Athens, Georgia U-Factor and SHGC Ratings
Use the u-factor and solar heat gain co-efficient (SHGC) tool below to search for your Georgia county's recommended window efficiency ratings.
Use our tool to search for the specific u-factor and SHGC for your county so that you are educated and have this information on hand in order to maximize the financial return on your new windows. Remember to research thoroughly prior to purchasing new windows, regardless of whether you are installing the windows yourself or having them installed by a licensed professional contractor.
If your county shows more than one u-factor and shgc combination, you may safely choose any combination. However, we recommend discussing the best option with a window replacement professional.
Athens Window Suppliers
Click the links below to see a list of local window retailers, contractors, and manufacturers.
- Home Depot 1740 Epps Bridge Pkwy Athens GA 30606 (706) 353-6079 Edit Listing
- Lowe's Home Improvement 1851 Epps Bridge Pkwy Athens GA 30606 (706) 613-1100 Edit Listing
- Lowe's Home Improvement 3341 Lexington Rd Athens GA 30605 (706) 208-3501 Edit Listing
- Peach State Design & Rnvtrs 148 Milford Dr Athens GA 30605 (404) 846-0860 Edit Listing
- Window World 1875 Commerce Rd # B Athens GA 30607 (706) 543-7069 Edit Listing
- Window World 305 Old Commerce Rd Athens GA 30607 (706) 543-7069 Edit Listing