Anchorage Window Replacement
Anchorage window replacement is a fairly simple project and an easy way to increase the curb appeal of your Alaska home. There are a variety of options to choose from, and if you’re not very familiar with Anchorage window replacement, it may feel a little overwhelming. However, by taking a few minutes to familiarize yourself with different replacement window materials, products and designs, you can quickly make a choice and get started towards a very beneficial home improvement project.
Perks to Replacing
If you currently have your Anchorage home up for sale, or you’re planning to put your home on the market soon, then you know how frustrating selling a home can be. Just when you think you have a potential buyer, they seem to change their mind and you can’t quite figure out why. You know you’ve repaired every dent in the wall, silenced squeaky floorboards and laid down brand new carpet. All things considered, you think your house is quite a deal for any potential buyer. However, often people realize that it’s the home exterior – not the interior – that can turn people off.
There are a few things you can do to spruce up the exterior of your Anchorage, AK home, but one most cost effective options is to install a new Alaska replacement window set. Whether you realize it or not, Anchorage window replacement can make an older Alaska home look much more modern and updated. In fact, even if you’re not selling your home, it’s always great to improve the exterior and make your home look more inviting to guests.
Another reason to complete an Anchorage window replacement project is to conserve more energy. If a product is Energy Star certified, then you know you're on the right track. Besides helping out the environment, replacement of ill-fitting parts will also slash your Anchorage utility bills down quite a bit.
When you run your heat or air conditioning in a house with products that have cracks, openings or are not fit properly to the frame, then your heater and A/C will have to work twice as hard to keep your Anchorage, Alaska home at a comfortable temperature.
Popular Window Materials
There are many different materials that Anchorage window replacement sets can be made from. Some materials perform better than others under certain conditions, and some are cheaper than others. Before you decide on a replacement material, take some time to decide the qualities that you need the most while considering each replacement window estimate you come by.
Wood is a material that has been used for years as a building material in Anchorage, AK, and it is quite effective, sturdy and relatively cheap. One thing you should note, however, is that wood requires a great deal of maintenance. When exposed to the elements, wood tends to rot and decay. Moisture combined with the sun’s harsh rays means your wood frames will need to be repaired and repainted more often than other replacement window materials. However, to many, the beautiful and natural appearance of wood makes up for its shortcomings.
Vinyl is a very popular material that homeowners are using much more often these days. It is much more low maintenance than wood, can be easily cleaned by a wet cloth, insulates well and does not decay and rot like wood. This material is extremely durable as well. However, it generally comes in a limited number of colors and, due to fading issues, some manufacturers recommend choosing a neutral color.
Aluminum is another popular option, but is used more for industrial and commercial buildings than for residential homes. Although it is incredibly durable and great for large spaces, it is not the best insulator. However, one solution many people prefer is to use an aluminum covering on wood options. Thus, the frame would be protected from the elements on the outside, but have a natural, wood look on the inside.
Once you’ve decided on a material, then you should begin making decisions regarding installation. If you’re going to hire a professional to perform the Anchorage window replacement for you, then you should factor this into your budget. If you’re still a home improvement novice then you might want to consider hiring an Anchorage, AK window replacement contractor to make sure the job is done correctly. If you attempt to install your Anchorage window replacement parts yourself, you risk doing so improperly and later having to pay for corrections to your mistakes.
After choosing a material and deciding about installation, then you can begin comparing Anchorage window replacement quotes. Choosing an Anchorage window replacement manufacturer might seem like a chore, but by knowing what you want ahead of time, you can find the right product and get your windows replaced fast. Carefully considering all window options from the beginning will help you make the right decision in the end.
Anchorage, Alaska U-Factor and SHGC Ratings
Use the u-factor and solar heat gain co-efficient (SHGC) tool below to search for your Alaska borough's recommended window efficiency ratings.
Use our tool to search for the specific u-factor and SHGC for your county so that you are educated and have this information on hand in order to maximize the financial return on your new windows. Remember to research thoroughly prior to purchasing new windows, regardless of whether you are installing the windows yourself or having them installed by a licensed professional contractor.
If your county shows more than one u-factor and shgc combination, you may safely choose any combination. However, we recommend discussing the best option with a window replacement professional.
Anchorage Window Suppliers
Click the links below to see a list of local window retailers, contractors, and manufacturers.
- AAA Windows LLC PO Box 142215 Anchorage AK 99514 (907) 346-3151 Edit Listing
- Alaska Pacific Construction 5630 Silverado Way Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 562-3606 Edit Listing
- Arctic Restoration 3705 Arctic Blvd # 2910 Anchorage AK 99503 (907) 770-7009 Edit Listing
- Aurora Doors LLC 2433 N Post Rd Anchorage AK 99501 (907) 561-1734 Edit Listing
- Aurora Windows & Supplies 8720 Cameron St Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 562-1393 Edit Listing
- Better Built Construction Inc 5700 E 99th Ave Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 240-8522 Edit Listing
- Capitol Glass/Northern Windows 2300 E 63rd Ave Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 272-4433 Edit Listing
- Coast-Line Enterprises Inc 3801 Coventry Dr Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 344-5644 Edit Listing
- Conservative Building Mntnc Co 4814 Newcastle Way Anchorage AK 99503 (907) 344-9186 Edit Listing
- Cornerstone Remodel & Design 601 W 58th Ave # 140 Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 569-0484 Edit Listing
- Custom Carpentry 11840 Mary Ave Anchorage AK 99515 (907) 248-0358 Edit Listing
- Denali Windows 2042 E 3rd Ave # B Anchorage AK 99501 (907) 677-0714 Edit Listing
- Equity Builder Home Imprvmt 7133 Arctic Blvd # 8 Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 562-5752 Edit Listing
- Grayling Construction Corp 7133 Arctic Blvd # 2 Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 344-5733 Edit Listing
- H & L Windows 7130 Travis Cir Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 344-8900 Edit Listing
- Home Depot 1715 Abbott Rd Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 644-9012 Edit Listing
- Home Depot 400 Rodeo Pl Anchorage AK 99508 (907) 276-2006 Edit Listing
- Home Depot 515 E Tudor Rd Anchorage AK 99503 (907) 563-9800 Edit Listing
- House Surgeons Of Alaska 6641 Wes Way Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 337-3984 Edit Listing
- Jeno's Construction 1001 Boniface Pkwy # 34k Anchorage AK 99504 (907) 337-2328 Edit Listing
- Lessard Construction 7716 Chaimi Loop Anchorage AK 99504 (907) 250-4213 Edit Listing
- Lowe's Home Improvement 10900 Old Seward Hwy Anchorage AK 99515 (907) 349-8889 Edit Listing
- Lowe's Home Improvement 1200 N Muldoon Rd # A Anchorage AK 99504 (907) 269-2400 Edit Listing
- Lowe's Home Improvement 333 E Tudor Rd Anchorage AK 99503 (907) 563-0391 Edit Listing
- Northern Interiors-Anchorage 2464 E Tudor Rd Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 562-2464 Edit Listing
- Pella Windows & Doors 907 E Dowling Rd # 11 Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 646-9087 Edit Listing
- Picture Perfect Home Remodel 8720 El Paso Pl Anchorage AK 99515 (907) 344-4006 Edit Listing
- Pilkington Na Inc 915 E 82nd Ave Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 522-9522 Edit Listing
- Ptarmigan Construction 1720 E 59th Ave Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 563-5776 Edit Listing
- Shiloh Construction Inc 2042 E 3rd Ave # B Anchorage AK 99501 (907) 349-1958 Edit Listing
- Smokey's Custom Carpentry 7078 Weimer Rd # 5 Anchorage AK 99502 (907) 748-3469 Edit Listing
- Speedy Glass 230 King Cir Anchorage AK 99515 (907) 349-9158 Edit Listing
- Summit Windows & Doors Inc 7950 King St Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 522-7757 Edit Listing
- Timberline Maintenance-Constr 3840 E 84th Ave Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 344-9600 Edit Listing
- Trailboss Solutions 201 E 3rd Ave Anchorage AK 99501 (907) 338-8243 Edit Listing
- U 2 Alterations 3400 Arctic Blvd Anchorage AK 99503 (907) 337-8282 Edit Listing