Alaska Window Replacement
Alaska window replacement can be an expensive home improvement project but if you compare the amount of money you will save over the lifetime of new energy efficient windows, you will be surprised at the results.
Windows and doors account for a major part of your home's heating bill in Alaska. If your existing windows have a poor energy efficiency rating, or U-value, you are losing a vast amount of heat through your windows. Choosing an Alaska replacement window can make your home more energy efficient thus saving you money on your monthly heating bills during those long Alaska winters.
Vinyl replacement windows are generally the best windows for value, energy efficiency and convenience. These windows are maintenance free, easier to install, and have excellent warranties. You may also want to consider a thermal option which is double or triple paned. These have an excellent energy efficiency rating which means they will save you even more money on your heating costs. There are however many different styles, manufacturers, options and details out there to choose from. From vinyl replacement windows to thermal, it basically comes down to 4 items; budget, size, convenience and style.
Considering Your Budget
Replacement windows cost a considerable amount if you have many windows to replace. The first thing you should consider when thinking about an Alaska window replacement is the budget you are willing to spend on your replacement. If money is a concern, you can opt for financing through a home improvement loan. You could also spread the window replacements out across time to help minimize the hit on your pocketbook. Common sizes can also save you money. Anything that is a factory special order will be more costly.
Check into tax rebates for your new Alaska window replacement. There may be energy tax incentives available for installing energy efficient windows. Look for Energy Star products which are approved for the available tax credit. Make sure the company you choose is licensed in order to take advantage of the incentive. Keep your receipts and talk to your tax professional to determine what rebates may be available to you in Alaska.
Damaged or rotted frames add to the cost of your replacement windows. These frames cannot be saved when you are removing your old windows so you will need to replace them. Be sure to inspect you frames and add them to your budget if necessary. It is best to have a licensed carpenter do the replacement in this case to ensure the proper fit.
Window sizes vary greatly. In order to get the best fit you will need the proper width and length measurements. The best way to take these measurements is to measure each end and the middle of both the length and the width. Use the smallest measurement when shopping for your new Alaska window replacement.
If you are already planning an Alaska window replacement, you should also consider convenience. There are many new options to make cleaning your new windows quick and easy. Consider for instance the option of having the grills inside the glass instead of outside. This eliminates the need to clean the grill which any mother will tell you is a time consuming and messy job. You can also get tilt windows which will tilt in for ease of cleaning the outside of the window from the warmth of the inside. No matter which option you choose for your Alaska window replacement, your window cleaner will be very grateful.
Choosing the Style
When choosing the style of your new Alaska window replacement project, first review the existing style of your home. You may want to match the original window design. If you change the style of the windows too dramatically you will find it will change the look of the entire house. It can also make your house in Alaska look newer and more modern which can be a great selling point if you are selling your home. Another item you could consider would be tinting for additional heat reduction. It will also help cut out the sunlight during those long Alaska days.
If you plan to purchase an Alaska window replacement, be sure to first identify your budget restrictions. Once you know what you have to spend, take some time to review your current style and whether you want to upgrade to a new look. Consider the convenience options for maximum efficiency. Look for licensed dealers who offer warranties on their products. If you have damaged or rotted frames consider hiring a licensed professional to do your installation. Regardless of which options or styles you choose, new windows will provide you energy savings when your Alaska window replacement project is complete.
Energy Star Ratings for Alaska Replacement Windows
|Northern Climate Zone||0.30 or less||0.00 or more|
|0.31||0.35 or more|
|0.32||0.40 or more|
Use the u-factor and solar heat gain co-efficient (SHGC) tool below to search for your Alaska borough's recommended window efficiency ratings.
Use our tool to search for the specific u-factor and SHGC for your county so that you are educated and have this information on hand in order to maximize the financial return on your new windows.
Remember to research thoroughly prior to purchasing new windows, skylights, and doors regardless of whether you are installing the windows yourself or having them installed by a licensed professional contractor.
To read more about u-factor and why it is so important when trying to improve energy efficiency with replacement windows in your Alaska home, please review our detailed u-factor guide..
To educate yourself about solar heat gain coefficients as they relate to your Alaska window replacement project, please read our guide to understanding shgc.
If your borough shows more than one u-factor and shgc combination, you may safely choose any combination for your window replacement project. However, we recommend discussing the best option with a window replacement professional.
Click the links below to see a list of local window retailers, contractors, and manufacturers.
Find Local Installers
- A C Nelson's Total Home Mntnc PO Box 785 Anchor Point AK 99556 (907) 235-9446 Edit Listing
- AAA Windows LLC PO Box 142215 Anchorage AK 99514 (907) 346-3151 Edit Listing
- Alaska Pacific Construction 5630 Silverado Way Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 562-3606 Edit Listing
- Arctic Restoration 3705 Arctic Blvd # 2910 Anchorage AK 99503 (907) 770-7009 Edit Listing
- Aurora Doors LLC 2433 N Post Rd Anchorage AK 99501 (907) 561-1734 Edit Listing
- Aurora Windows & Supplies 8720 Cameron St Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 562-1393 Edit Listing
- Better Built Construction Inc 5700 E 99th Ave Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 240-8522 Edit Listing
- Capitol Glass/Northern Windows 2300 E 63rd Ave Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 272-4433 Edit Listing
- Coast-Line Enterprises Inc 3801 Coventry Dr Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 344-5644 Edit Listing
- Conservative Building Mntnc Co 4814 Newcastle Way Anchorage AK 99503 (907) 344-9186 Edit Listing
- Cornerstone Remodel & Design 601 W 58th Ave # 140 Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 569-0484 Edit Listing
- Custom Carpentry 11840 Mary Ave Anchorage AK 99515 (907) 248-0358 Edit Listing
- Denali Windows 2042 E 3rd Ave # B Anchorage AK 99501 (907) 677-0714 Edit Listing
- Equity Builder Home Imprvmt 7133 Arctic Blvd # 8 Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 562-5752 Edit Listing
- Grayling Construction Corp 7133 Arctic Blvd # 2 Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 344-5733 Edit Listing
- H & L Windows 7130 Travis Cir Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 344-8900 Edit Listing
- House Surgeons Of Alaska 6641 Wes Way Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 337-3984 Edit Listing
- Jeno's Construction 1001 Boniface Pkwy # 34k Anchorage AK 99504 (907) 337-2328 Edit Listing
- Lessard Construction 7716 Chaimi Loop Anchorage AK 99504 (907) 250-4213 Edit Listing
- Northern Interiors-Anchorage 2464 E Tudor Rd Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 562-2464 Edit Listing
- Pella Windows & Doors 907 E Dowling Rd # 11 Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 646-9087 Edit Listing
- Picture Perfect Home Remodel 8720 El Paso Pl Anchorage AK 99515 (907) 344-4006 Edit Listing
- Pilkington Na Inc 915 E 82nd Ave Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 522-9522 Edit Listing
- Ptarmigan Construction 1720 E 59th Ave Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 563-5776 Edit Listing
- Shiloh Construction Inc 2042 E 3rd Ave # B Anchorage AK 99501 (907) 349-1958 Edit Listing
- Smokey's Custom Carpentry 7078 Weimer Rd # 5 Anchorage AK 99502 (907) 748-3469 Edit Listing
- Speedy Glass 230 King Cir Anchorage AK 99515 (907) 349-9158 Edit Listing
- Summit Windows & Doors Inc 7950 King St Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 522-7757 Edit Listing
- Timberline Maintenance-Constr 3840 E 84th Ave Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 344-9600 Edit Listing
- Trailboss Solutions 201 E 3rd Ave Anchorage AK 99501 (907) 338-8243 Edit Listing
- U 2 Alterations 3400 Arctic Blvd Anchorage AK 99503 (907) 337-8282 Edit Listing
- Yazzie Drywall PO Box 655 Barrow AK 99723 (907) 852-2167 Edit Listing
- Clifford Remodeling Inc 19517 Inlet View Dr Chugiak AK 99567 (907) 688-0348 Edit Listing
- Homan Inc 12741 Iris Way Eagle River AK 99577 (907) 696-3494 Edit Listing
- Window Solutions 12110 Business Blvd # 6 Pmb 30 Eagle River AK 99577 (907) 696-6965 Edit Listing
- A R Construction 118 Dunkel St Fairbanks AK 99701 (907) 479-7010 Edit Listing
- ABC Inc 401 Driveway St Fairbanks AK 99701 (907) 457-2221 Edit Listing
- Alaska Window Installer PO Box 84390 Fairbanks AK 99708 (907) 388-6628 Edit Listing
- D & T Remodeling LLC PO Box 80768 Fairbanks AK 99708 (907) 978-6449 Edit Listing
- Dufseth Construction 1110 Oconnor Rd Fairbanks AK 99701 (907) 452-2992 Edit Listing
- Fitzgerald Construction 1308 Polar Dr Fairbanks AK 99712 (907) 488-6130 Edit Listing
- Golden Heart Construction PO Box 72728 Fairbanks AK 99707 (907) 458-9193 Edit Listing
- Great Land Sports 918 College Rd Fairbanks AK 99701 (907) 479-8438 Edit Listing
- Great Land Window Co 2401 College Rd Fairbanks AK 99709 (907) 479-8437 Edit Listing
- Interior Residential Rmdlng 1656 Tamarack St Fairbanks AK 99709 (907) 479-6015 Edit Listing
- K R Construction 1032 8th Ave Fairbanks AK 99701 (907) 456-6236 Edit Listing
- Palmieri Interior-Exterior 310 Steelhead Rd Fairbanks AK 99709 (907) 699-1200 Edit Listing
- Mc Neil Canyon Land Use Co PO Box 15061 Fritz Creek AK 99603 (907) 235-3787 Edit Listing
- Coastline Construction 4220 Taku Ct Juneau AK 99801 (907) 790-3260 Edit Listing
- Jerry's Home Improvement 9437 Patricia Pl Juneau AK 99801 (907) 789-9085 Edit Listing
- Expert Additions 106 Baker St Kenai AK 99611 (907) 283-7364 Edit Listing
- Nelson's Complete Maintenance 1217 Lawton Dr Kenai AK 99611 (907) 252-0153 Edit Listing
- Atlas Enterprises 3199 Peninsula Rd Kodiak AK 99615 (907) 486-4822 Edit Listing
- Fleetwood Enterprises 713 Mill Bay Rd Kodiak AK 99615 (907) 486-5312 Edit Listing
- J & S Siding PO Box 57246 North Pole AK 99705 (907) 388-8194 Edit Listing
- Rick's Home Repair Svc 1109 Airline Dr North Pole AK 99705 (907) 488-4081 Edit Listing
- Builders Millwork & Supply Inc 8620 E Westside Dr Palmer AK 99645 (907) 376-8111 Edit Listing
- K & B Construction 6258 N Kettle Dr Palmer AK 99645 (907) 745-1756 Edit Listing
- Daniel's Services 631 Degroff St Sitka AK 99835 (907) 738-0587 Edit Listing
- Builders Unlimited 40655 Huckabay Soldotna AK 99669 (907) 262-7614 Edit Listing
- Doors/Windows 43961 Kalifornsky Beach Rd # C Soldotna AK 99669 (907) 262-9151 Edit Listing
- Duffy's Framing 38530 Adele Ave Sterling AK 99672 (907) 262-6071 Edit Listing
- Crystal Creek Carpentry PO Box 72 Valdez AK 99686 (907) 835-5182 Edit Listing
- Nordland Construction PO Box 873576 Wasilla AK 99687 (907) 357-9470 Edit Listing