Alaska Window Replacement
Alaska window replacement can be an expensive home improvement project but if you compare the amount of money you will save over the lifetime of new energy efficient windows, you will be surprised at the results.
Windows and doors account for a major part of your home's heating bill in Alaska. If your existing windows have a poor energy efficiency rating, or U-value, you are losing a vast amount of heat through your windows. Choosing an Alaska replacement window can make your home more energy efficient thus saving you money on your monthly heating bills during those long Alaska winters.
Vinyl replacement windows are generally the best windows for value, energy efficiency and convenience. These windows are maintenance free, easier to install, and have excellent warranties. You may also want to consider a thermal option which is double or triple paned. These have an excellent energy efficiency rating which means they will save you even more money on your heating costs. There are however many different styles, manufacturers, options and details out there to choose from. From vinyl replacement windows to thermal, it basically comes down to 4 items; budget, size, convenience and style.
Considering Your Budget
Replacement windows cost a considerable amount if you have many windows to replace. The first thing you should consider when thinking about an Alaska window replacement is the budget you are willing to spend on your replacement. If money is a concern, you can opt for financing through a home improvement loan. You could also spread the window replacements out across time to help minimize the hit on your pocketbook. Common sizes can also save you money. Anything that is a factory special order will be more costly.
Check into tax rebates for your new Alaska window replacement. There may be energy tax incentives available for installing energy efficient windows. Look for Energy Star products which are approved for the available tax credit. Make sure the company you choose is licensed in order to take advantage of the incentive. Keep your receipts and talk to your tax professional to determine what rebates may be available to you in Alaska.
Damaged or rotted frames add to the cost of your replacement windows. These frames cannot be saved when you are removing your old windows so you will need to replace them. Be sure to inspect you frames and add them to your budget if necessary. It is best to have a licensed carpenter do the replacement in this case to ensure the proper fit.
Window sizes vary greatly. In order to get the best fit you will need the proper width and length measurements. The best way to take these measurements is to measure each end and the middle of both the length and the width. Use the smallest measurement when shopping for your new Alaska window replacement.
If you are already planning an Alaska window replacement, you should also consider convenience. There are many new options to make cleaning your new windows quick and easy. Consider for instance the option of having the grills inside the glass instead of outside. This eliminates the need to clean the grill which any mother will tell you is a time consuming and messy job. You can also get tilt windows which will tilt in for ease of cleaning the outside of the window from the warmth of the inside. No matter which option you choose for your Alaska window replacement, your window cleaner will be very grateful.
Choosing the Style
When choosing the style of your new Alaska window replacement project, first review the existing style of your home. You may want to match the original window design. If you change the style of the windows too dramatically you will find it will change the look of the entire house. It can also make your house in Alaska look newer and more modern which can be a great selling point if you are selling your home. Another item you could consider would be tinting for additional heat reduction. It will also help cut out the sunlight during those long Alaska days.
If you plan to purchase an Alaska window replacement, be sure to first identify your budget restrictions. Once you know what you have to spend, take some time to review your current style and whether you want to upgrade to a new look. Consider the convenience options for maximum efficiency. Look for licensed dealers who offer warranties on their products. If you have damaged or rotted frames consider hiring a licensed professional to do your installation. Regardless of which options or styles you choose, new windows will provide you energy savings when your Alaska window replacement project is complete.
Energy Star Rating Information for Alaska Replacement Windows
|Northern Climate Zone||0.30 or less||0.00 or more|
|0.31||0.35 or more|
|0.32||0.40 or more|
Look up the specific U-Factor and Solar Heat Gain CoEfficient for your county by selecting the county you live in from the drop box below. Make sure you are educated and have this information on hand when purchasing windows yourself or when speaking with a replacement window contractor.
Find Local Alaska Installers
Alaska Window Suppliers
Click the links below to see a list of local window retailers, contractors, and manufacturers.
- A C Nelson's Total Home Mntnc PO Box 785 Anchor Point AK 99556 (907) 235-9446
- AAA Windows LLC PO Box 142215 Anchorage AK 99514 (907) 346-3151
- Alaska Pacific Construction 5630 Silverado Way Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 562-3606
- Arctic Restoration 3705 Arctic Blvd # 2910 Anchorage AK 99503 (907) 770-7009
- Aurora Doors LLC 2433 N Post Rd Anchorage AK 99501 (907) 561-1734
- Aurora Windows & Supplies 8720 Cameron St Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 562-1393
- Better Built Construction Inc 5700 E 99th Ave Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 240-8522
- Capitol Glass/Northern Windows 2300 E 63rd Ave Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 272-4433
- Coast-Line Enterprises Inc 3801 Coventry Dr Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 344-5644
- Conservative Building Mntnc Co 4814 Newcastle Way Anchorage AK 99503 (907) 344-9186
- Cornerstone Remodel & Design 601 W 58th Ave # 140 Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 569-0484
- Custom Carpentry 11840 Mary Ave Anchorage AK 99515 (907) 248-0358
- Denali Windows 2042 E 3rd Ave # B Anchorage AK 99501 (907) 677-0714
- Equity Builder Home Imprvmt 7133 Arctic Blvd # 8 Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 562-5752
- Grayling Construction Corp 7133 Arctic Blvd # 2 Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 344-5733
- H & L Windows 7130 Travis Cir Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 344-8900
- House Surgeons Of Alaska 6641 Wes Way Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 337-3984
- Jeno's Construction 1001 Boniface Pkwy # 34k Anchorage AK 99504 (907) 337-2328
- Lessard Construction 7716 Chaimi Loop Anchorage AK 99504 (907) 250-4213
- Northern Interiors-Anchorage 2464 E Tudor Rd Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 562-2464
- Pella Windows & Doors 907 E Dowling Rd # 11 Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 646-9087
- Picture Perfect Home Remodel 8720 El Paso Pl Anchorage AK 99515 (907) 344-4006
- Pilkington Na Inc 915 E 82nd Ave Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 522-9522
- Ptarmigan Construction 1720 E 59th Ave Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 563-5776
- Shiloh Construction Inc 2042 E 3rd Ave # B Anchorage AK 99501 (907) 349-1958
- Smokey's Custom Carpentry 7078 Weimer Rd # 5 Anchorage AK 99502 (907) 748-3469
- Speedy Glass 230 King Cir Anchorage AK 99515 (907) 349-9158
- Summit Windows & Doors Inc 7950 King St Anchorage AK 99518 (907) 522-7757
- Timberline Maintenance-Constr 3840 E 84th Ave Anchorage AK 99507 (907) 344-9600
- Trailboss Solutions 201 E 3rd Ave Anchorage AK 99501 (907) 338-8243
- U 2 Alterations 3400 Arctic Blvd Anchorage AK 99503 (907) 337-8282
- Yazzie Drywall PO Box 655 Barrow AK 99723 (907) 852-2167
- Clifford Remodeling Inc 19517 Inlet View Dr Chugiak AK 99567 (907) 688-0348
- Homan Inc 12741 Iris Way Eagle River AK 99577 (907) 696-3494
- Window Solutions 12110 Business Blvd # 6 Pmb 30 Eagle River AK 99577 (907) 696-6965
- A R Construction 118 Dunkel St Fairbanks AK 99701 (907) 479-7010
- ABC Inc 401 Driveway St Fairbanks AK 99701 (907) 457-2221
- Alaska Window Installer PO Box 84390 Fairbanks AK 99708 (907) 388-6628
- D & T Remodeling LLC PO Box 80768 Fairbanks AK 99708 (907) 978-6449
- Dufseth Construction 1110 Oconnor Rd Fairbanks AK 99701 (907) 452-2992
- Fitzgerald Construction 1308 Polar Dr Fairbanks AK 99712 (907) 488-6130
- Golden Heart Construction PO Box 72728 Fairbanks AK 99707 (907) 458-9193
- Great Land Sports 918 College Rd Fairbanks AK 99701 (907) 479-8438
- Great Land Window Co 2401 College Rd Fairbanks AK 99709 (907) 479-8437
- Interior Residential Rmdlng 1656 Tamarack St Fairbanks AK 99709 (907) 479-6015
- K R Construction 1032 8th Ave Fairbanks AK 99701 (907) 456-6236
- Palmieri Interior-Exterior 310 Steelhead Rd Fairbanks AK 99709 (907) 699-1200
- Mc Neil Canyon Land Use Co PO Box 15061 Fritz Creek AK 99603 (907) 235-3787
- Coastline Construction 4220 Taku Ct Juneau AK 99801 (907) 790-3260
- Jerry's Home Improvement 9437 Patricia Pl Juneau AK 99801 (907) 789-9085
- Expert Additions 106 Baker St Kenai AK 99611 (907) 283-7364
- Nelson's Complete Maintenance 1217 Lawton Dr Kenai AK 99611 (907) 252-0153
- Atlas Enterprises 3199 Peninsula Rd Kodiak AK 99615 (907) 486-4822
- Fleetwood Enterprises 713 Mill Bay Rd Kodiak AK 99615 (907) 486-5312
- J & S Siding PO Box 57246 North Pole AK 99705 (907) 388-8194
- Rick's Home Repair Svc 1109 Airline Dr North Pole AK 99705 (907) 488-4081
- Builders Millwork & Supply Inc 8620 E Westside Dr Palmer AK 99645 (907) 376-8111
- K & B Construction 6258 N Kettle Dr Palmer AK 99645 (907) 745-1756
- Daniel's Services 631 Degroff St Sitka AK 99835 (907) 738-0587
- Builders Unlimited 40655 Huckabay Soldotna AK 99669 (907) 262-7614
- Doors/Windows 43961 Kalifornsky Beach Rd # C Soldotna AK 99669 (907) 262-9151
- Duffy's Framing 38530 Adele Ave Sterling AK 99672 (907) 262-6071
- Crystal Creek Carpentry PO Box 72 Valdez AK 99686 (907) 835-5182
- Nordland Construction PO Box 873576 Wasilla AK 99687 (907) 357-9470